Asian Writers

June is dedicated to authors with ASIAN ORIGIN....review of books in this category will be posted all month....

Friday, November 2, 2012

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I was distressed, disturbed, disillusioned. I considered myself a reader who was not common - a reader who read by day and by night, skipping homework to loose myself in the pages of a book, sneaking under the duvet cover with a flashlight to escape notice. Pleading with friends and relatives for books of any kind and in any condition. As an adult, I excuse myself from family time to go bury myself in books. I gladly give up on a tele or a movie just to be able to read a few pages. At work every tiny coffee break is swapped for reading an e-book.

And all of that came crashing down as I slowly made my way through the pages of this thin book (relatively thin). A shocking realization swept through my body. I was not a common reader. I was several rungs below a common reader if Anne Fadiman was to be believed.


The depth of her books - and by this I mean the various topics she read, the genre of books she read and the sheer volume of her collection - threw me in a tizzy. I felt tiny in comparison and I swallowed my pride and the birth of a realization that I have a lot of reading to catch up to.

Oh what a short life. How can I possibly squeeze in all the books that I have read!? Even the mere thought of it and I feel overwhelmed.

But then I think - reading is not an excercise. Its supposed to be an enjoyment. One cannot have goals and targets like a Marketing Personnel and then fight every last breath of the body to meet those and in the process loose out on the fun.

Every person is different, every person cannot be Anne Fadiman. Even though I may be a common reader yet I am unique in my own way. And I comfort and console myself.

And as I browse through the plethora of gems that are there in the book world, my fear is lost and I feel myself once again loosing to the magical world of books and my eyes start to gleam as I pick out the books that I will read. And all is good once again. The common reader has found her bliss once again.

PS - The actual book review will follow shortly



No comments:

Post a Comment